News
Remembering Jesuit Father William McCurdy, Student Counselor and Campus Minister

March 4, 2016 - Father William McCurdy, S.J., died on February 28, 2016, at Murray-Weigel Hall in Bronx, New York. He was 85 years old.

Fr. McCurdy was born in Brooklyn, N.Y., on May 13, 1930. He was the son of Walter and Irene (McDonnell) McCurdy. He attended Jesuit High School in New Orleans and graduated from Brooklyn Prep and then St. John's University in 1947. Fr. McCurdy entered the Society of Jesus at St. Andrew on Hudson in Poughkeepsie, N.Y., in 1948. He studied philosophy at Bellarmine College in Plattsburg, N.Y. from 1952-1955.

From 1955-1958, Fr. McCurdy was a teacher of Latin, English and speech at Brooklyn Prep. He then studied theology at Woodstock College in Maryland from 1958-1962. In 1963, Fr. McCurdy became director of vocations for the New York Province and assistant director of JSMB (Jesuit Seminary and Mission Bureau) at Loyola Residence on 83rd Street. He became a student counselor at Canisius High School in Buffalo, N.Y., from 1968-1980, took a year sabbatical, and then resumed his position until 1988.

From 1989-1996, Fr. McCurdy became campus minister at Canisius College. He then became superior at McQuaid Jesuit High School in Rochester, N.Y., until 2002. After a short sabbatical, Fr. McCurdy became faculty chaplain at Canisius Jesuit Community until 2011 when he became pastoral minister and assistant to the minister through 2013. In 2014, he became house confessor.

He spent the remainder of his life at Murray-Weigel Hall where he continued his community ministry and was missioned to the work of praying for the Church and the Society.

The wake is on Friday, March 4, from 3-5 p.m. and 7-8:30 p.m., with a prayer service at 7 p.m. at Murray-Weigel Hall Chapel in the Bronx. The Mass of Christian burial will be held on Saturday, March 5, at 11:30 a.m. at the MurrayWeigel Hall Chapel, followed by the burial at the Jesuit Cemetery in Auriesville, N.Y.





Recent News

Nov. 27, 2017 - Fr. José M. Vilaplana, SJ, was called to eternal life on Nov. 26, 2017. Fr. Vilaplana died at Murray-Weigel Hall, Bronx, N.Y. He was born on March 12, 1927, entered the Society of Jesus in Spain, Oct. 6, 1952, and was ordained on July 28, 1963. He pronounced his final vows on Feb. 2, 1970.

Nov. 20, 2017 - Fr. Edward C. Lynch, SJ, was called to eternal life on Nov. 17, 2017. Fr. Lynch was born on Jan. 9, 1934, entered the Society of Jesus at St. Andrew-on-Hudson, Poughkeepsie, N.Y., on Sept. 7, 1951, and was ordained on June 18, 1964, in the Fordham University Church. He pronounced his final vows on Aug. 15, 1967.

Oct. 31, 2017 - Fr. Robert G. Gilroy, SJ, was called to eternal life on Oct. 28, 2017. Fr. Gilroy was born on Oct. 19, 1959, in Boston, Mass., and entered the Society of Jesus on Aug. 24, 1986. He was ordained to the priesthood on June 14, 1997, at College of the Holy Cross, in Worcester, Mass. He pronounced his Final Vows on May 4, 2002.


Sept. 13, 2017 - Fr. Richard D. Bertrand, SJ, was called to eternal life on Sept. 11, 2017. Fr. Bertrand was born on Nov. 28,1947, in Biddeford, Maine, and entered the Society of Jesus on July 30, 1966. He was ordained to the priesthood on Nov. 10, 1979. He pronounced his Final Vows on June 19, 1992.

Sept. 13, 2017 - Mr. Brian P. Maher was installed as the 7th president of Nativity Preparatory School during the Mass of the Holy Spirit held at the beginning of the year. Fr. John J. Cecero, SJ, provincial of the USA Northeast Province of the Society of Jesus, officially missioned Mr. Maher to be the director of the work.

Sept. 5, 2017 - Fr. John P. Bucki, SJ, was called to eternal life on Sept. 2, 2017, at St. Barnabas Hospital in the Bronx, N.Y. Fr. Bucki was born on Jan. 12, 1950, in Buffalo, N.Y., and entered the Society of Jesus on Aug. 25, 1968. He was ordained to the priesthood on June 9, 1979. He pronounced his Final Vows on Dec. 12, 1995, at the Xavier Jesuit Community, New York, N.Y.

view all news

Search news







Loyola House of Retreats
Loyola House of Retreats is located on 30 acres of beautiful lawns, gardens and woodland in a quiet section of Morristown, N.J.