Jesuit Father Robert A. Haus died at Montefiore Hospital in the Bronx, New York, on July 12, 2014. He was 90 years old, a priest for 59 years and a Jesuit for 71 years.
Fr. Haus was born on May 8, 1924, in the Bronx, of Alphonse and Amelia (Fuchs) Haus. After secondary school at Regis High School in New York, he entered the Society of Jesus at St. Andrew-on-Hudson on Aug. 14, 1942. Following his novitiate and college studies, he was assigned to the study of philosophy at Weston College in Weston, Massachusetts (1946-49) receiving the Ph.L degree (licentiate in philosophy). Before the study of theology in preparation for the priesthood, he taught mathematics and Latin for three years at St. Peter’s Prep in Jersey City, New Jersey (1949-52). His theological studies were at Woodstock College in Woodstock, Maryland (1952-56). There he received the S.T.L. (licentiate in sacred theology) degree in 1956. He was ordained to the priesthood by Cardinal Spellman at the Fordham University Chapel on June 18, 1955.
As a young priest, and in preparation for his long and distinguished career as a professor of mathematics, he studied at and received an M.S. degree in mathematics from the University of Notre Dame in 1959. His interest was always in applied mathematics rather than theoretical math.
He then moved east to Canisius College in Buffalo, New York, in 1959 and remained there as a teacher of mathematics until his retirement. For several years he served as dean of the evening division. In 1972 he was the recipient of the Distinguished Faculty Award. In 1999 he moved from full-time teaching to part-time. He lived in the residence halls, counseling many students and in many cases leading to lasting friendships that meant witnessing their marriage vows.
Known for his wisdom and attention to detail, he also served within the Jesuit community as a consultor for many years. From 2007 to 2013 he assisted at Martha Catholic Church in Depew, New York. In 2014 due to failing health he was assigned to the Jesuit infirmary, Murray-Weigel Hall in the Bronx, New York.