News
Remembering Jesuit Father Thomas V. O’Connor

Dec. 26, 2019 - Fr. Thomas V. O’Connor, SJ, was called to eternal life on December 23, 2019. Fr. O’Connor died at Mount Sinai Hospital, New York, N.Y. He was born on May 6, 1932 in Brooklyn, N.Y., entered the Society of Jesus at St. Andrew-on-Hudson, Poughkeepsie, N.Y., on September 7, 1950, and was ordained on June 20, 1963 at the Fordham University Church, Bronx, N.Y. He pronounced his final vows on August 15, 1966.

Obituary

Fr. Thomas V. O’Connor, SJ, was born in Brooklyn, N.Y., on May 6, 1932. His parents were William and Anna (Cronin) O’Connor. Fr. O’Connor attended Brooklyn Prep and, immediately after graduation, entered the Society of Jesus on September 7, 1950, at St. Andrew-on-Hudson.

In 1954, Fr. O’Connor went to Spring Hill College in Mobile, Alabama, to study Philosophy and Chemistry, and in 1957, he became teacher of Latin and Mathematics at McQuaid High School in Rochester, N.Y. In the summer of 1960, after his regency at McQuaid, Fr. O’Connor went to Woodstock College in Maryland to study Theology. 

He was ordained to the priesthood on June 20, 1963, in the Fordham University Church by Bishop Joseph Maria Pernicone. Fr. O’Connor then returned to Woodstock to complete his theological studies. 

It was in Auriesville, N.Y., that he made his year of Tertianship in 1964-65.

After that he began what was to be his life-long vocation, teaching Chemistry and Mathematics at St. Peter’s Prep in Jersey City. This he carried out for the next 45 years. During this time he also did pastoral ministry.

In 2011, Fr. O’Connor moved to the Bronx to live at Loyola Hall on the Fordham Campus, where he continued doing pastoral ministry in the area. He worked at the Jewish Home as Chaplain for many years.

Finally, Fr. O’Connor moved to Murray-Weigel Hall in 2012 and, despite failing health, continued to serve as Chaplain to the Jewish Home. He died on Monday, December 23, 2019, shortly after suffering a stroke. He served others right up to the end.


Arrangements

WAKE:

Friday, December 27, 2019
Murray-Weigel Hall Chapel
3:00-5:00 p.m. and 7:00-8:30 p.m. (Prayer Service at 7:00 p.m.)
515 East Fordham Road
Bronx, NY  10458

MASS OF CHRISTIAN BURIAL:

Saturday, December 28, 2019—11:30 a.m.
Murray-Weigel Hall Chapel
515 East Fordham Road
Bronx, NY  10458

BURIAL:

Jesuit Cemetery, Auriesville, NY





Recent News

Feb. 14, 2020 - Fr. Thomas L. Sheridan, SJ, was called to eternal life on Feb. 13, 2020. He was born on Dec. 17, 1926 in New York, N.Y., entered the Society of Jesus on July 30, 1944, and was ordained on June 22, 1957. He pronounced his final vows on Aug. 15, 1961 at Fordham University, Bronx, N.Y.

Jan. 8, 2020 - Fr. Jeffrey P. Baerwald, SJ, died Fri., Jan. 3, 2020, at Santa Clara Valley Medical Center in San Jose, Calif. He was born on May 7, 1957, in St. Paul, Minn., entered the Society of Jesus on Aug. 20, 1983 in Syracuse, N.Y., and was ordained June 10, 1989 at Fordham University. He pronounced his final vows at Santa Clara University on Feb. 23, 2008.


Dec. 26, 2019 - Fr. Daniel J. Lusch, SJ, died peacefully on December 20, 2019, around 6:40 PM at Lahey Hospital and Medical Center, in Burlington, Mass. He was 86 years old. May he now be welcomed into eternal life.


Nov. 25, 2019 - Fr. Daniel J. Sullivan, SJ, was called to eternal life on Nov. 22, 2019. He was born on April 22, 1928, in Queens, N.Y., entered the Society of Jesus on August 14, 1950, and was ordained on July 26, 1961, in Innsbruck, Austria. He pronounced his final vows on Feb. 2, 1979 at Fordham University.

Nov. 4, 2019 - Fr. G. Simon Harak, SJ, died peacefully on Sun., Nov. 3, 2019. Fr. Harak was born on April 15, 1948, and entered the Society of Jesus on Sept. 5, 1970. He was later ordained on June 9, 1979, in the Chapel of St. Joseph at the College of the Holy Cross in Worcester, Mass. He pronounced his final vows on April 14, 1991.

view all news

Search news







Eastern Point Retreat House
Eastern Point Retreat House, a grand house located on the Atlantic shore in Gloucester, Mass., has been welcoming retreatants since 1958.