News
Remembering Jesuit Father Thomas L. Sheridan

Feb. 14, 2020 -  Fr. Thomas L. Sheridan, SJ, was born in Manhattan on Dec. 17, 1926. His parents were Thomas L. Sheridan, from Jersey City, and Angela Cecelia Sheridan, from Ballyjamesduff, County Cavan, Ireland. After attending Regis High School (1940-44) Fr. Sheridan entered the Jesuits on July 30, 1944, at St. Andrew-on -Hudson. His studies in Philosophy were carried out at Woodstock College in Maryland (1948-51). For the next three years he taught French and Latin at Xavier High School in Manhattan. He then returned to Woodstock College for his theological studies, and was ordained in June 1957, in the Fordham University Chapel. After a year of ascetical studies in Wépion, Belgium he taught Theology at Fordham University for three years (1959-62).

Fr. Sheridan then returned to Europe, where he received a doctorate in theology at the Catholic University of Paris (1965). His book, Newman on Justification was published in 1967, and a French edition was published the following year. His articles and reviews have appeared in Spiritual Life, Theological Studies, America, Woodstock Letters, and the Journal of Ecumenical Studies. His last published work was a chapter on "Justification" in The Cambridge Companion to Newman. 

Fr. Sheridan spent most of his academic life at St. Peter's College (now University) in Jersey City where he taught Theology (1966-1999). He was chairman of the Theology Department from 1968 to 1975, and again from 1986 to 1998.  After becoming Professor Emeritus in 1999 he commenced a ministry to immigrants in federal detention at the Elizabeth Detention Center, where his fluency in Spanish was a great asset. Fr. Sheridan also served as advisor to the North Jersey chapter of the Ignatian Volunteer Corps.  

He had a fine tenor voice and sang for many years with the St. Cecelia Chorus in Manhattan, of which he served as president for two years. 

In 2013, Fr. Sheridan moved to Murray-Weigel Hall where he did house ministry and prayed for the Church and the Society of Jesus. He is survived by dear cousins on both sides of the Atlantic. 

After a long life devoted to the service of the Church, Fr. Thomas L. Sheridan, SJ, was called to eternal life on February 13, 2020. Fr. Sheridan died at Murray-Weigel Hall, Bronx, N.Y. May he now rest in the peace of Christ.


Arrangements

WAKE:      

Monday, February 17, 2020
Murray-Weigel Hall Chapel
3:00-5:00 p.m. and 7:00-8:30 p.m. (Prayer Service at 7:00 p.m.)
515 East Fordham Road
Bronx, NY  10458

MASS OF CHRISTIAN BURIAL:  

Tuesday, February 18, 2020—11:30 a.m.
Murray-Weigel Hall Chapel
515 East Fordham Road
Bronx, NY  10458

BURIAL:  

Jesuit Cemetery, Auriesville, NY






Recent News


Feb. 24, 2020 - Fr. Richard J. Regan, SJ, who died on Feb. 21, 2020, at Montefiore Hospital, Bronx, N.Y. Fr. Regan, SJ was born on Oct.26, 1930, in Morristown, N.J. Fr. Regan entered the Jesuits on Aug. 14, 1953, at St. Andrew-on-Hudson. He was ordained to the priesthood in the Fordham University Chapel on June 20, 1963.

Jan. 8, 2020 - Fr. Jeffrey P. Baerwald, SJ, died Fri., Jan. 3, 2020, at Santa Clara Valley Medical Center in San Jose, Calif. He was born on May 7, 1957, in St. Paul, Minn., entered the Society of Jesus on Aug. 20, 1983 in Syracuse, N.Y., and was ordained June 10, 1989 at Fordham University. He pronounced his final vows at Santa Clara University on Feb. 23, 2008.


Dec. 26, 2019 - Fr. Daniel J. Lusch, SJ, died peacefully on December 20, 2019, around 6:40 PM at Lahey Hospital and Medical Center, in Burlington, Mass. He was 86 years old. May he now be welcomed into eternal life.

Dec. 26, 2019 - Fr. Thomas V. O’Connor, SJ, was called to eternal life on Dec. 23, 2019. He was born on May 6, 1932 in Brooklyn, N.Y., entered the Society of Jesus on September 7, 1950, and was ordained on June 20, 1963. He pronounced his final vows on August 15, 1966.


view all news

Search news







Eastern Point Retreat House
Eastern Point Retreat House, a grand house located on the Atlantic shore in Gloucester, Mass., has been welcoming retreatants since 1958.